Coming of Age
A Social Program for Older Adults
Coming of Age in Maryland (CoA) is an interagency collaboration between JSSA and Premier Homecare, Bender JCC of Greater Washington, and Jewish Council for the Aging that offers social and educational events for seniors. Participation in CoA is an easy way for older adults to stay engaged, active, and independent. Registration for activities is open to individuals age 60+ of all faiths and ethnicities living in Montgomery County.
Click to download brochures and registration forms:
What is unique about Coming of Age in Maryland?
- There is no membership fee to join.
- Logistical arrangements are organized for you by our staff.
- Programs accommodate individual interests, personal budgets, and the desire for convenience.
- Venues are evaluated in advance for stairs, elevator capacity, eating, walking distance, restrooms.
- Participants are encouraged to introduce themselves at each gathering, creating an environment where it is easy to get to know new people and build a social circle.
- A licensed JSSA social worker is present at every CoA event to offer information on a variety of senior services and to confidentially discuss personal concerns.
Coming of Age in Maryland mails bi-monthly calendar listings detailed descriptions of each upcoming event along with dates, times, associated fees, and RSVP deadlines.
- Excursions: see a stage production, visit a museum, tour a garden, or visit another cultural venue
- Food ‘n Fun: enjoy a meal at a local restaurant followed by a group game
- Leisure World: experience live entertainment, an educational speaker, or a movie matinee in one of Leisure World’s clubhouses
- ‘Tuesdays’ @ the Bender JCC: participate in a weekly exercise class and blood pressure check followed by a guest speaker/entertainment, kosher lunch, and music
Participants travel to and from Coming of Age in Maryland events in a variety of ways, including personal vehicle, carpool, shared tax, and CoA bus.
Limited financial assistance may be available for those who qualify. For more information, please call 301-348-3832.