According to the UN’s High Commissioner for Refugees there are approximately 15.3 million refugees in the world today. JSSA is proud to be helping refugees here in our own community adapt to their new home.
More Than a Century of Caring
Our work with refugees began in the 1900s and is grounded in the Jewish traditions of tikkun olam, to repair and heal the world. The Jewish community understands what it is like to be forced into seeking asylum, to leave one’s home and to be deprived of human rights.
Since the 1980s, JSSA has resettled hundreds of refugees from the former Soviet Union and Iran by working closely with the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS), the Maryland Office for Refugees, local agencies, schools, synagogues, and volunteers.
Today, JSSA is expanding its work to integrate refugees from Iraq, Iran, Myanmar (Burma), Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nepal, Ethiopia and Eritrea and other countries where conflicts have displaced millions. We are collaborating with the Suburban Washington Resettlement Center to offer immediate services upon a refugee’s arrival and ongoing support as they learn to live in and adapt to a new country. Program costs are covered by grants and donations.
How Does JSSA Help?
JSSA provides support through:
- Care management
- Housing assistance
- Job coaching and job development
- Acculturation services
- Financial assistance
How Can You Help?
JSSA’ Refugee Resettlement program relies heavily on collaborative community partnerships and individual support. You can make a difference today:
- Become a volunteer: Provide medical and dental services, legal and accounting assistance. Process donated items. Assist with transportation and more
- Become a mentor: Help with English language and citizenship tutoring
- Become a supporter: Organize a special fundraising drive or make a contribution to the program
Community Resources -
- CDC – Immigrant and Refugee Health
- (COR) Center
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Office of Refugee Resettlement
- Suburban Washington Resettlement Center
- UN Refugee Agency
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
- USIC (US Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- Welcome to the US.gov